Nature Blog Network Wildlife Photography Blog Fatbirder's top 1000 birding websites

Welcome to the Pine River Review. Our sight is dedicated to our little homestead located along the Pine River tucked inside the Chippewa Nature Center's 1400 Acres of wild in Michigan's lower penninsula. We love to share our pictures, video, comment, and our own homespun music. Step inside our world as we celebrate this beautiful nook!


Sunday, September 26, 2010

Falling For You

Note: I am linking this older post to the Old Barns meme that I just discovered. Welcome old barn folks, and be sure to check out World Bird Wednesday!
It's official, fall has arrived and Michigan's fall colors are beginning to emerge as chlorophyll production decreases with the shortening days. I have been waiting all weekend for the clouds to lift and let the sun light up the few trees that are in peak color. I'll have to be patient awhile longer.
   You don't hear about it much but Mid-Michigan has tons of fieldstone buildings many a hundred years old or more. Suzanne and I took a ride North, where there was a chance for blue skies, in search of a few. If you would like to learn about old Michigan barns, there whereabouts, and the struggle to preserve them, check out this phenomenal link http://michiganbarns.org/index.php




  
Many of these old barns have seen better days. These are massive wooden structures. See the old cedar shake shingles under the asphalt ones?

Look at those "finger" feathers, yep, a turkey buzzard. It was sitting on a post waiting to get at some road kill when we rousted it.

At last, a fieldstone barn in good repair. Be sure to slowly double click on this picture to enlarge it. There is a ton of detail!

We see a little autumn color here and there.

Gasoline equals Dinosaur. No one has filled up here in a while.

 This Plymouth Barracuda's front end looks like it may have clipped a deer.

A prime example of fieldstone architecture.


The road side Pumpkin stand. Dozens to choose from in every price range. Now back home to the Pine River with our pumpkin!



"To the complaint, "There are no people in these photographs,"
I respond, "There are always two people:
the photographer and the viewer."

Ansel Adams (1902 - 1984)

7 comments:

  1. I cannot believe this doesn't have any comments...it has everything to love. I love the barns, but especially the one that is so huge. I love any photo with pumpkins...and I LOVE houses built with stones.

    Thanks for visiting my post at Time Stand Still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos. Love the fieldstone, they make a building look so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an INCREDIBLY BEAUTIFUL stone barn structure! I love it & don't think I've ever seen a barn built of stone, except for the foundation, before! I'm just seeing all kinds of them since I started this meme!
    I love all the barns you've posted here, they're wonderful & now I'm on my way to check out the link for Michigan Barn & Farmstead.
    Thanks so much for participating & post a link next week to Old Barns so people can hop over & join in, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely one of my all-time favorite barns! It is so sad to see so many great barns in disrepair. Cool shot of the Barracuda too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tricia,
    I will handle the link! Whoops!

    Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I was just getting my feet wet in the blogging business when I did this post. Michigan is full of surprises it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful shots, i dont think i have seen a barn make from rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must be a very rocky area to have this many stones to build a house and a barn! Very nice post!

    ReplyDelete